Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Hero Mister Rogers

Fred Rogers is my hero.  He thought simply and deeply about child development, communication, and God.  He often said to friends and colleagues, "Deep and simple is far, far more essential than shallow and complex."  If you ever watch an episode (any one of them) of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, you would know that he and his message is deep and simple.

I am a psychologist.  I am a Christian.  I am a parent and a child.  I even teach in the university department where more than 50 years ago, Fred Rogers received his training in child development.  Growing up in China, I never saw the television program.  I watched it as an adult and immensely touched.  I watched it then with my own two girls.

I hope that the writings here will reflect my continued search for the "deep and simple" in all areas of my personal and professional life.

No comments:

Post a Comment